[Fedora-packaging] rubygem with extension written in C

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Nov 6 08:30:06 UTC 2008

Thank you again.

David Lutterkort wrote, at 11/06/2008 12:09 PM +9:00:
> On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 19:46 +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
>> David Lutterkort wrote, at 11/04/2008 04:04 AM +9:00:
>>>       * Is the example snippet from a spec file meant only for gems with
>>>         extension libraries or for all gems ?
>> - Currently only with extention libraries.
>>   If rpm created from gem file is completely noarch, gem file can be installed
>>   under %{buildroot}%{gemdir} directly.
>>   (However, of course, there is no problem if we first install gem files
>>    under %{_builddir} first even if it is noarch)
>
> Agreed. Ultimately, it would be nice to support more of this with some
> stock macros; but that has nothing to do with your proposal.

Currently I have no idea about what macros can be defined here, however
for now I think we can think of this later.

> The proposal looks really good - +1 from me.

Thank you!

One more issue:
I found that even for non-Gem packages many packages use "extconf.rb"
to create C library, and in such case "export CONFIGURE_ARGS=..." method
can also be applied.

So I wrote another proposal to use this method even for non-Gem ruby packages
(on the last of :
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Mtasaka/PackagingDrafts/RubyGem_with_C_code
)
I would want to know how you would think about this.

Regards,
Mamoru