[Fedora-packaging] rubygem with extension written in C

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Wed Nov 19 17:37:57 UTC 2008

Hello.

First of all, thank you for discussing my propositon and giving me
feedback.

Then;

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote, at 11/19/2008 02:23 AM +9:00:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 02:08 +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
>> I moved the wiki to
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/RubyGem_with_C_code
>> (old URL will be redirected) and added this to
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/DraftsTodo
>
> Mamoru,
>
> The example in your draft does not seem to match your proposal. Can you
> provide an example to illustrate the new case for "Ruby Gem with
> extension libraries written in C"?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~spot

It seems that the macro %{_builddir}/%{buildsubdir} seems confusing because
this macros is not used in the examples. Actually what I meant here is
- At prep stage the proper directory must be created under %_builddir to
  get C code compiled under the directory, not under %buildroot

  When %setup -q -c -T is used %_builddir/%name-%version is created (on
  my usual usage %_builddir is  ~/rpmbuild/BUILD) and %buildsubdir is then
  defined as %name-%version.
- Then Gem file must be installed there at %build stage, not under %buildroot.

So as it seems that writing "%setup -q -c -T must be called" is more easy
to grasp, I wrote a revised proposition (with the original one undeleted)
[1]

And I wrote one easiest example [2]
I appreciate any feedback for this one.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/RubyGem_with_C_code