[Fedora-packaging] package review template

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 14:11:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 04:02:03PM +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 12:49:17PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> >
> > Oh, how I hate such vague accusations. Ralf! Please tell us exactly who
> > you're referring to and what *exactly* makes you think they have no clue.
>
> I have the same feeling than Ralf, some reviewer just do superficial
> reviewing without really looking at the relevant details. I won't tell
> names. I also think that it was much less the case in the past, say,
> roughly in the extras days.

I think you're looking at this from the wrong point of view. The current
packaging review guidelines are really huge, and take a long time to
wade though. Some of them really can be just reduced to bullet point
checklist items, while others need intelligent thought on the part of
the reviewer.

By providing a base template for package review, you make it easier to
check off the really simple items, allowing more time to be focused on
the ones without simple yes/no answers.  If you want more in depth
reviews you have to make the process more time efficient, otherwise people
will inevitably just look at the superficial yes/no parts of the review.

Refusing to take the tedium out of the review process by not providing
the base review templates, is just counter-productive because as the
initial poster pointed out, people just create their own templates which
may or not not actually match current guidelines. We should embrace the
the defacto standard practice by providing official review templates so
we can ensure they're always update, and provide incentives to get more
indepth reviews from people.

Daniel