[Fedora-packaging] The role of %{_libexecdir} for using environment-modules

Jussi Lehtola jussi.lehtola at iki.fi
Wed Oct 8 09:13:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 10:28 +0200, Denis Leroy wrote:
> > What is the correct place to put these (architecture dependent)
> > binaries? Is it OK to use %{_libexecdir}/%{name} (or
> > %{name}-%{version}) ?
>
> I would recommend %{_libexecdir}/%{name} which seems fairly common. Or
> possibly %{_libexecdir}/%{name}-%{ABI} or %{name}-%{version}, but does
> it really make sense to have multiple versions installed at the same
> time ? Will that be a common scenario for gromacs users ?

OK, good. Thanks.

Many people are using the older release series, since they have
calculated stuff using it and do not want to use the new release series
since it does things differently. That's the main reason why the older
series should still be available.

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 10:32 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 10:28:35AM +0200, Denis Leroy wrote:

> > As for finding the binaries, I would personally prefer to patch the
code
> > to look for the binaries in the packaged directory rather than use
> > profile.d.
>
> Agreed, with the addition than the env variables should still be taken
> into account, but in case they are not defined, the default paths
should
> be the right ones.

OK. Environment-modules automatically modifies the system paths in such
a way that everything works as it should. I made a simple profile.d
file:
	module load gromacs

so that the new release series is automatically loaded.
Jussi Lehtola, FM, Tohtorikoulutettava
Fysiikan laitos, Helsingin Yliopisto
jussi.lehtola at helsinki.fi, p. 191 50632
Mr. Jussi Lehtola, M. Sc., Doctoral Student
Department of Physics, University of Helsinki, Finland
jussi.lehtola at helsinki.fi