[Fedora-packaging] The role of %{_libexecdir} for using environment-modules

Jussi Lehtola jussi.lehtola at iki.fi
Wed Oct 8 12:24:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 14:10 +0200, Denis Leroy wrote:
> Are these generic-named executables meant to be ran directly by the
> user
> from a shell, or by another executable ? I assumed the latter in my
> previous response.

Directly by the user. /usr/bin is out of the question due to

a) two major versions need to be able to coexist on a system with the
user having the liberty to choose among them

b) the binaries with general names may clash with other packages. Of
course this could be solved by renaming the executables in the spec
file, but this would break compatibility with upstream naming.

By using environment-modules the binaries themselves can be put
anywhere, since loading the module appends the path to find them.
Jussi Lehtola, FM, Tohtorikoulutettava
Fysiikan laitos, Helsingin Yliopisto
jussi.lehtola at helsinki.fi, p. 191 50632
Mr. Jussi Lehtola, M. Sc., Doctoral Student
Department of Physics, University of Helsinki, Finland
jussi.lehtola at helsinki.fi