[Fedora-packaging] PackagingDrafts/AutoConf

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Wed Oct 15 05:19:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 10:50 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 01:16 -0400, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> > I would like to make some progress on this:
> >
> >         <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/AutoConf>
> >
> > The goal, I think, is incorporation of something like this into Fedora's
> > Packaging Guidelines. I'm told this is the place to come.
>
> This is the right place... do you feel that Draft is ready for us to
> consider it for inclusion in the Packaging Guidelines as is?

After some discussion on fedora-devel, I'd say "not yet".

While I do think it's appropriate to steer packagers toward patching
configure and Makefile.in for trivial cases, I'm coming around to the
notion that for more complex cases the prose should restrict itself to
being informational.  But I continue to think that certain invocations
of the tools should be practically forbidden.  ("autoreconf -f", I'm
looking at you.)

I'll ping back here when I think it's ready.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>