[Fedora-packaging] README.Dist is preferrable to README.Fedora

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Sun Oct 26 15:12:06 UTC 2008

PD> Are these files really fedora specific, or package specific?

In the case of my packages, or packages where I have recommended the
use of README.Fedora, they indicate specific information on how Fedora
has provided default configurations and any Fedora-specific setup
necessary (such as indicating that a web application has installed an
apache config file restricting access to localhost until default
passwords are changed).

PD> In most cases they are package specific, so I think the file name
PD> should reflect that, and also it helps others (or EPEL) reuse spec
PD> files.

EPEL is a Fedora product, is it not?  If someone wants to lift a
Fedora package and has concerns about such files appearing in it, they
are welcome to rename them.  That's not my business, though.

If someone wants to propose a standard macro which expands to
"Fedora", "EPEL" or whatever a hypothetical Fedora-consuming distro
might wish, then I would happily use it.

 - J<