[Fedora-packaging] Re: OpenSuse / Fedora Packaging Compatibility?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Sep 21 04:17:11 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 05:29:34PM -0700, Ken Sedgwick wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> The ACE+TAO dev team currently has two different spec files for
> generating RPMs.  One has been oriented towards Fedora/Redhat build
> environments and the other is used in the OpenSuse build environment.
>
> The temptation is to make them the same (they are pretty similar).
>
> Are there any unreconcilable differences between OpenSuse packaging and
> Fedora Packaging?
>
> More importantly, are there any examples of packages which currently use
> the same spec file (perhaps with platform conditional blocks) for both
> distributions?  We'd sure love to use them as an example ...

Ideally the major rpm distros will one day try to create a common
ground on this, mainly in the naming area. But it will be a Herculian
task as at least one distro would have to rename its packages over the
EOL times of its products. Even if all parties agree it will not
happen tomorrow.

For today you need to either conditionalize the specfile, maintain
separate specfiles or create dummy wrapper packages for compatibility
(say you need foo-devel or foo-dev, just depend on say the former and
on suse create a wrapper foo-devel that just depends on foo-dev or the
other way around if you prefer the suse style).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net