[Fedora-packaging] Re: Packaging of license file in case of extracted sources

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 16:54:08 UTC 2009

On 04/20/2009 06:28 AM, Mattias Ellert wrote:
> The question at hand is not whether the tarball contains inlined or
> detached licenses. The question is which tarball the guideline refers
> to. If it is the large upstream installer it does include a detached
> license file. If it is the extracted tarball it does not.

I want to make clear that the disagreement does not depend on whether
we extract source tarballs from a larger tree or not.

Let me talk over a toy example to demonstrate the situation:

Suppose I am packaging MyApp. MyApp source tree has this layout:
src/A/
src/B/
I am making MyApp-A and MyApp-B subpackages. Now there is a COPYING
file under src/A/

Should I put that COPYING file into the %doc of the MyApp-B package, if

- B requires A?
- B doesn't require A?

Let's make this clear, so that we can apply the general consensus on
the new packages.

Orcan