[Fedora-packaging] Re: Fwd: Django plugin naming

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 20:12:27 UTC 2009

On 08/10/2009 11:52 AM, Diego Búrigo Zacarão wrote:
> Steve, I'm forwarding it for Toshi and the Fedora Packing List as well. :)
>
> 2009/8/10 Steve 'Ashcrow' Milner <smilner at redhat.com>
>
>> On 10/08/09 15:00 -0300, Diego Búrigo Zacarão wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess python-$MODULENAME is a good idea for Django apps, once
>>> $MODULENAME
>>> don't suppress the 'django-' part. Otherwise it would be a problem, mainly
>>> because
>>> those apps/addons are named (usually) like django-$SOMETHING and
>>> $SOMETHING
>>> (also usually) is a very simple name, that would conflict with other
>>> possibles python
>>> apps with the same name. One example of it could be the app
>>> 'django-openid'[1],
>>> that would conflict with the 'python-openid' library.
>>>

>> Excellent point. It's too bad there isn't an official location for
>> Django plugins like /path/to/python/sitelib/django/thirdparty/$NAME.
>> Since there isn't one, I wouldn't think it's a good idea to use that
>> ourselves else we would end up with projects that only worked on
>> Fedora :-(.
>>
>> I don't know if that has been thought about or not, but maybe it would
>> be a good thing to bring up to upstream.
>>
>>  If it's doing to be like python-$MODULENAME (i.e. python-django-tagging),
>>> it's Ok with me.
>>> I just need someone helping me with it on those sub-packages, as I'm not a
>>> packager in
>>> reality (yet :)).
>>>

>> We shouldn't change the package name ... for instance, if the django
>> application was called tagging and would normally be put into the
>> python site-path as such I don't think it would be very smart of us to
>> rename it to django_tagging without upstream making the same change.
>> Again, we would run into code that only worked on Fedora. Calling the
>> package python-django-tagging and NOT changing the actual module name
>> would seem to be a good idea.

+1

I talked with ivazquez yesterday on IRC (he's done quite a few of the
plugin modules) and we arrived at this conclusion:

Even though the packages live in site-packages and can be imported by
python, unless they're being imported by django, django plugins don't do
much of anything.  Since the django package is named Django rather than
python-django, it makes more sense to leave out hte python-* for now.

Many of the upstream names are django-SOMETHING.  Like django-tagging.
So for us to call the package django-tagging is following what upstream
is doing.  A few packages (like "south" http://south.aeracode.org) don't
have django in their upstream name.  For these, we should prepend with
the Django package name: Django-south since they are plugins to the
Django package.  Since most of the plugins use lowercase in their
upstream name, it's a good idea to Provide: django-south as well.

Sound reasonable?

-Toshio