[Fedora-packaging] Package rename procedure

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 13 11:48:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 12:08 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been looking through the package guidelines for a admin procedure
> to rename packages and I've not managed to find anything concrete. I
> found the bit about provides/obsoletes in the spec itself [1] and I
> found the cvs admin procedure for changes to existing packages but I'm
> not sure that this relates to an actual rename. Is it as simple as
> just updating the review request like the other cvs changes for a
> package or is there a procedure that I've not managed to find in the
> wiki? I've also checked the drafts to see if there's anything upcoming
> but found nothing.

Plug in the necessary obsoletes and provides in the spec file and open
up a new review request as "Rename Request: foo - App that does bar".

Once it's been reviewed (the reviewer checks that the package is sane
and that the obsoletes and provides are correct) and approved you can
import and build the new package and mark the old package as dead.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor
jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org