[Fedora-packaging] Re: Strawman: standardize 8-space tab width

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Aug 21 09:13:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 10:55:00AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 08/21/2009 10:46 AM, Jussi Lehtola wrote:
>>>
>>> Define reasonable tab with.
>>>
>>> I guess you mean 8, but, whether you like it or not, there is no
>>> "standardized tab width".
>>>
>>> Conversely, there are huge user groups, who "standardized" to other tab
>>> widths, e.g.
>>>
>>> * Some BSDs systematically use a tab width of 4 everywhere.
>>> * Some vi users typically user a tab width of 3 (I am not using vi, so
>>> no idea where this originates from).
>>> * Many users apply a tab width of 2.
>>> * There are editors, which seem to guess on "best tab expansions".
>>
>> These projects have standardized their tab widths. Why shouldn't Fedora?
>
> Why should it? Because some editors are unable to grok tabs in usable
> ways and because some newbies are unable to cope with it?

So, if it is proven that there is no sane standardization for tab
widths and users/editors are unable to cope with the various tab
widths, Fedora shouldn't mandate a tab width etc. then that's more of
an argment to make away with tabs for good.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net