[Fedora-packaging] Packaging a game, need help with setgid security

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 05:55:24 UTC 2009

Hello group,

I have recently finished packaging the game IVAN (http://ivan.sf.net) for
Fedora 11:

Iter Vehemens ad Necum is a graphical roguelike game.  It features advanced
bodypart and material handling, multi-colored lighting and, above all, deep
gameplay.

Like many roguelikes, it has a shared high score file and Bones files that
all users are meant to have their scores and final data written to. As a
result, the game is forced to run setgid games so that it has the rights to
write to /var/games/ivan/. While packaging this application, I got a lot of
help from some of the Fedora-KDE guys (hi Kevin, Ben) and they both
suggested I run this through Fedora Security SIG so that the game would
properly demote itself to non-setgid when it doesn't need to.

What is the proper channel to go about this? Should I just mail to the
security list? Should I put this package up for review beforehand/in the
meantime?

Thanks and Best,
Ryan Rix

--
Ryan Rix
(623)-826-0051

Fortune:
I'm DESPONDENT ... I hope there's something DEEP-FRIED under this
miniature DOMED STADIUM ...

http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://twitter.com/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#teensonlinux,#plugaz and
      countless other FOSS channels.