[Fedora-packaging] I wish to package some CC licensed content ...

Lyos Gemini Norezel lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 21:07:12 UTC 2009

Michel Salim wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Lyos Gemini Norezel
> <lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> steve wrote:
>>
>> I don't know about your system... but my system already has 349 folders in
>> /usr/share ... which would likely be overwhelming to John Q Public.
>> I'd suggest a different, perhaps dedicated, location if it is to be
>> system-wide.
>>
> If it's under /usr, it'd really have to be somewhere in %{_datadir},
> i.e. /usr/share. And given that Fedora does not even use /opt, it's
> hard to see it going somewhere else.

Well... it could reside in a '/var/www'  location... could it not?

Such a location would make it easy for users to share the content from
one server to
multiple computers, and is standard across distributions.

It's also, somewhat, less of a security risk, if my assumptions are
correct.

> Although perhaps
> /usr/share/fedora-cc/{books,music,video,...} is less scattered than
> /usr/share/{books,music,video,...}.

Agreed.

> One consideration would be to have a fedora-cc-menus similar to
> games-menus, that would make sure any contents appear in a reasonable
> place in a user's applications menu.
>
> Regards

I suspect that'll be helpful... especially for the 'John Q Public' (aka,
'Idiot Users') types.

Though a symlink to 'content' in each user's "/home" would, perhaps, be
better?

Just food for thought.

Lyos Gemini Norezel