[Fedora-packaging] meta-package guideline needed ?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Jan 12 14:20:19 UTC 2009

Le Lun 12 janvier 2009 15:02, Jonathan Underwood a écrit :

> Also, using comps groups for the metapackage use case I outlined would
> lead to many more compsgroups, themselves much smaller than the
> presently existing comps groups.

If you look at the comps groups of past releases, you'll see that
creating groups with half a dozen packages inside has been done
before, and was a common case when comps was introduced. The
distribution has massively grown without our comps layout following,
probably because no one was perceived to be in chargo of comps those
past years.

> Perhaps we need another concept - collections and groups, where
> collections is roughly what we currently call comps groups (large
> package sets with a big overall functionality payload like a desktop
> environment etc) and comps groups which are primarily for pulling in a
> series of subpackages.

There was supposed to be a session on comps future at FUDCON, I hope
its results will be posted on the list soon.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot