[Fedora-packaging] Confused by non-numeric version in release guideline

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 20:33:03 UTC 2009

Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> writes:
> Le mardi 13 janvier 2009 à 14:16 -0500, Tom Lane a écrit :
>> ... But the whole thing reads to me like an exercise in wishful
>> thinking.  It's describing somebody's idea of what version numbering
>> ought to be like, not what upstreams actually use in practice.

> It's describing version numbering that people undestand and that will
> work in rpm.

> What's wishful thinking is to think you can drop just any versionning
> convention in rpm and it will magically process it.

No, the wishful thinking is that the Fedora guidelines can issue an
edict sans justification and expect that upstreams will start following
it.  The entire text of this guideline should be replaced by "Try to get
your upstream to use a versioning convention that rpm understands", plus
a link to some reliable documentation about what it understands.

			regards, tom lane