[Fedora-packaging] Use of dos2unix in %prep

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Jan 21 15:28:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:

> Panu Matilainen wrote, at 01/21/2009 11:22 PM +9:00:

>>> If I remembmer well, in fedora, man pages timestamps are kept, even if
>>> gzipped.
>>
>> I don't see any attempt to do time stamp preservation in brp-compress (and
>> evidence from packages says the same), would be possible of course if
>> somebody cared enough :) Hmm, would be easy even, as "touch" appears to
>> have the perfect option for it:
>>
>>        -r, --reference=FILE
>>               use this file’s times instead of current time
>>
>>     - Panu -
>
> gzip itself keeps timestamps by default (man page also says:
> By default, gzip keeps the original file name and timestamp in the compressed
> file)

Ah, so it seems, I had never noticed that.

The differences simply then come from the fact that the files are
build-time generated, one way or the other. Just as an example of it,
glibc generates it's *.info documentation from *.texi sources, so the
timestamps differ regardless of gzip preserving it:

[pmatilai at localhost ~]$ rpm -q --qf "[%{filemtimes} %{filenames}\n]"
glibc-devel.x86_64|grep info| head -2
1228741245 /usr/share/info/libc.info-1.gz
1228741245 /usr/share/info/libc.info-10.gz
[pmatilai at localhost ~]$ rpm -q --qf "[%{filemtimes} %{filenames}\n]"
glibc-devel.i386|grep info| head -2
1228741252 /usr/share/info/libc.info-1.gz
1228741252 /usr/share/info/libc.info-10.gz

 	- Panu -