[Fedora-packaging] Issue with PHP Naming guidelines

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Sat Jul 18 16:01:14 UTC 2009

CS> I think these applications fall under the: "Note that web
CS> applications that happen to be written in PHP do not belong under
CS> the php-* namespace." part of the PHP guidelines.

I'm not sure I understood this response.  The only reason I mentioned
applications was to point out that there are a few packages which
start with php* that aren't PHP modules, but that the two packages I
was questioning explicitly do not fit into that category.  Maybe I
shouldn't have mentioned them at all, because it seems to have
confused the issue.  Do I need to re-post my original message
without that mention?

CS> These applications are not installing .so files in %{_libdir}/php,
CS> but rather php files in %{_datadir}/php Well atleast phpSmug, I
CS> did not look at phpFlickr.

My understanding is that phpSmug and phpFlickr are indeed PHP modules,
no different from php-Smarty.  Since they're not pear or pecl modules,
they fall under "Other packages should be named
php-PackageName-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm; %{arch} can be
"noarch" where appropriate."

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:PHP#Naming_scheme

 - J<