[Fedora-packaging] Should Scintilla be package as a shared library ?

Remi Collet Fedora at FamilleCollet.com
Wed Jul 1 05:30:15 UTC 2009

Hi,

http://www.scintilla.org/ is a free source code editing component.

Upstream provides only a makefile for a static library.

Of course, it's quite easy to create a shared library, but without
versionning as upstream doesn't handle this.

At least scite (in fedora repo) use this library, but probably other
projects (I have no way to detect this).

I'm working in MySQL Workbench, which also use it (and some other
bundled libraries, as curl, boost, ..., more easy to remove)

What sould I do ?

	- package scintilla as a shared lib

(this will imply rebuilding all applications on scintilla update and
probably issue with applications using different version)

or
	- package MySQL Workbench with the bundled scintilla

(the simple solution, but against good pratices)

Thanks for your comment on this.
Remi.