[Fedora-packaging] Issue with PHP Naming guidelines

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Jul 19 19:31:10 UTC 2009

Le dimanche 19 juillet 2009 à 12:17 -0700, Christopher Stone a écrit :
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Gianluca Sforna<giallu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What about adding an exception for the "add the php- prefix" rule  to
> > packages that includes "php in their name?
>
> So, a package called "graphplotter" would be valid because it has php
> it its name?

The way we do it with fonts is that we require the -fonts suffix but
forbid repetition in the root name

So you can not have bigfonts-foofont, bigfoofont-fonts or
fontofbigfoo-fonts but only big-foo-fonts.

Also we require lowercase names and use - as word separator (like other
sensible distros such as Debian or Suse who didn't let their package
namespace polluted by WeirdCamelCaseNames).

Arguably, the decision was easier to make since font authors do not
follow any particular logic in naming their archives and a typical font
includes many layers of naming that usually do not agree on case and
separators.

Anyway, that was mainly to dispell the impression our naming conventions
are consistent accross sigs. Every SIG makes its own rules and as long
as they are internally consistent (all packages of the same kind are
named the same way) no one cares much.

--
Nicolas Mailhot