[Fedora-packaging] Draft to prohibit use of #!/usr/bin/env

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Wed Jul 22 06:54:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 01:54 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Script_Interpreters_(draft)
>
> I've just submitted this draft.  This seems to support the following
> feature which I need to find the owner of and coordinate with:

The problem I see with this is that it's bound to result in patches that
some upstream developers will find unpalatable.  Can non-Fedora-specific
arguments be made against this practice *that are sufficiently
compelling to justify the potential for long-term maintenance of
patches*?

I say, "non-Fedora-specific" because this is a lot more compelling if
the project can say, unequivocally, that Fedora is taking a stand
against a generally harmful practice.  If, however, the reasons driving
this are mostly Fedora-specific, it's a harder sell.  Broadly speaking,
a distribution like Fedora should be doing its best to adapt to what
upstream developers deliver.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>