[Fedora-packaging] Review Guidelines missing entry

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 20:21:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> I just noticed that although checking for static libraries is listed on:
>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ReviewGuidelines
>
> Checking for Bundled libraries isn't:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Duplication_of_system_libraries
>
> I'm going to add that as it's just a clarification rather than a change
> in Guidelines.  If someone objects, holler and I can revert until the
> next FPC meeting.

Another incomplete entry:

-----
>From http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines

MUST: Packages containing GUI applications must include a
%{name}.desktop file, and that file must be properly installed with
desktop-file-install in the %install section. If you feel that your
packaged GUI application does not need a .desktop file, you must put a
comment in the spec file with your explanation
-----
and from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Desktop_files

If a package contains a GUI application, then it needs to also include
a properly installed .desktop file.
-----

Both statements are ill-defined for packages that install multiple GUI
applications. A packager can install only 1 .desktop file for his
package which contains 3 GUI applications and he can say that he
obeyed all the guidelines. And unfortunately, he is right; the
guidelines do not force him to install more than 1 .desktop file.

Orcan