[Fedora-packaging] removal of pre-built files

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 19:55:04 UTC 2009

Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> writes:
> On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 15:17 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I don't like Proposal #2 a bit.  The particular case that is going to
>> bite me is that this policy requires me to rebuild documentation files
>> (.pdfs, etc) from source.  Which is possible, but it vastly expands the
>> BuildRequires footprint of the package, to say nothing of the build
>> time.

> Seconded. This will cause multilib conflicts in many packages, due to
> randomness introduced in doc builds, such as generated ids, etc.

Hadn't thought of that, but it's a good point.  Another issue is that
expanding BuildRequires to cover doc toolchains is likely to create
cases of circular build dependencies that don't exist today.  Those
situations are a *serious* PITA for the maintainers involved :-(
... so we should avoid mandating that for marginal reasons.

			regards, tom lane