[Fedora-packaging] Binary FreeDOS image

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Mar 23 08:36:29 UTC 2009

Lubomir Rintel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just reviewing a DOSEmu package, where the package author includes a
> tarball of FreeDOS installation (binary images of a couple of basic DOS
> utilities, shell and the kernel). I believe that it's probably illegal
> (provided it's GPL code, I have not checked) to do this unless we
> distribute sources as well.
>
> Would anyone mind if I told the maintainer just to include the source
> tarball in SRPM for now? Building the whole thing from source, while
> cleanly being possible, would add a huge amount of work at this point.

Actually it is *not * possible to build freedos from source as this
requires (or atleast used to) non free tools such as Borland C 3.

Which means that we should seriously consider wether we want to ship it
at all.

And if start shipping it having diskimages for qemu would be a nice bonus
to have :)

Regards,

Hans