[Fedora-packaging] Binary FreeDOS image

Lubomir Rintel lkundrak at v3.sk
Mon Mar 23 09:24:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-23 at 09:36 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Lubomir Rintel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm just reviewing a DOSEmu package, where the package author includes a
> > tarball of FreeDOS installation (binary images of a couple of basic DOS
> > utilities, shell and the kernel). I believe that it's probably illegal
> > (provided it's GPL code, I have not checked) to do this unless we
> > distribute sources as well.
> >
> > Would anyone mind if I told the maintainer just to include the source
> > tarball in SRPM for now? Building the whole thing from source, while
> > cleanly being possible, would add a huge amount of work at this point.
> >

> Actually it is *not * possible to build freedos from source as this
> requires (or atleast used to) non free tools such as Borland C 3.

A brief search through the wiki [1] reveals that it might be possible to
build it with Open Watcom C and nasm, though Open Watcom's license is
unfortunatelly not allowed in Fedora :(

[1] http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/freedos/index.php?title=FreeDOS_Spec#Programming_tools

--
Lubomir Rintel <lkundrak at v3.sk>