[Fedora-packaging] Java guideline inconsistency

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue May 12 15:39:58 UTC 2009

Le Dim 10 mai 2009 00:41, Fernando Nasser a écrit :

>> > Also, I find it a bit inconsistent that java packages don't have
>> to have
>> > a java- prefix as python, perl, php and so on packages have to.
>>
>> I do to but I think this is the standard for enough packages that we
>> shouldn't look at fixing it unless it's causing breakage.
>
> Agreed.  Most (all?) of this stuff came from JPackage and there's
> little
> point in breaking compatibility/naming.

Also, perl and python components are released from a centralised
source, while java components aren't. The perl- prefix works because
it's effectively a cpan- prefix

Other languages like C which do not have a centralized source also do
not use a common prefix. So java is consistent

--
Nicolas Mailhot