[Fedora-packaging] code vs. content

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 12:22:45 UTC 2009

nn2009/11/20 Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de>:
> Hi,
>
> There is a package (london pictures) under review[1], which I consider to be
> a corner case wrt. "Code vs. content"[2].
>
> The problem I have with this package providing a precedence of how to
> circumvent Fedora's regulations/guidelines etc. to use Fedora as means to
> distribute "mere content".
>
> In other words, I fear this package is a precedence to opens a can of worms
> for content packages.
>
> What to do about this package and about this issue in general?
>
> My gut feeling is, Fedora should refine their "code vs. content" rules,
> otherwise we will soon Fedora being filled up with arbitrary
> "photo/sound/video collections" disguised as "backgrounds", "sound fonts",
> etc.

This is really tricky since there's essentially a continuum from
content that has no purpose in Fedora (project Gutenberg) to content
that must be in fedora (default wallpapers). Just my 0.02 EUR in the
situation, i wonder if it is a good idea to start up a third party
repo, like the Repo-He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named that provides everything
that's questionable from a purpose perspective. This could include
packaging all the bits found in {gnome,kde}-look and similar sites.
Then we can judge by how popular it is, and how the situation
develops, how critical and necessary it is for Fedora's greater
Purpose.

I'd rather see the possibility to enable people to do this if they
want than to categorically reject some idea, especially if it's done
in a third party space.

-Yaakov

PS, i have to do something with those 2 eurocent coins i got in
Germany, no one takes them here.