[Fedora-packaging] Proposal: support multiple Python minor versions

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Nov 20 17:47:04 UTC 2009

DM> Proposal: support multiple Python minor version, as one instance of
DM> a generalized way of supporting variant stacks.

Please note that it isn't for FPC to decide this.  If FESCo tells us
that this is wanted, FPC will work on the packaging guidelines to make
this happen.

FESCo has previously addressed and rejected precisely this proposal when
Fedora switched to Python 2.5 and Zope could no longer be used (as it
required 2.4, I believe).  The rationale at the time (if I remember
correctly, and I can be allowed to summarize) was that the Python
maintainers did not wish for this to happen, and withhout their assent
it would not be proper to force the burden of dealing with random
"python" issues that have no relation to the version of the stack they
maintain.

Perhaps if proposed today FESCo's attitude would differ; I can't predict
that.

 - J<