[Fedora-packaging] Re: Using Debian packaging bits in Fedora packages

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Oct 24 16:05:14 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 03:21:23PM +0100, Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
> I was just wondering -- is there a policy on using bits of Debian
> packages in Fedora packages?

You mean a policy like "Not stealing from `antagonist' projects"? I
don't think there is. As long as the general requirements are OK
(licenses, not forbidden items, etc.) you can use any bits you need.

> As a concrete example, if Debian has already packaged a Java library
> and has written a build.xml file (essentially, a Makefile) for
> building it, am I allowed to include that file in my package? Should
> I apply the whole Debian patch (complete with upstream URL) and then
> copy the build.xml to where it needs to be, or can I just grab the
> build.xml file itself and include it as a source?

Whatever makes more sense from a technical POV, but keep any author
info pointing to Debian intact (e.g. add your own if you modify
something, but don't remove any other author). You could even honour
the import in a %changelog like to make it easier to identify the
origin.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net