Well here we are

Chip Turner cturner at pattern.net
Sat Apr 23 07:42:06 UTC 2005

Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> writes:

> Ville Skyttä wrote:
>> On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 15:36 +1000, Rob Kearey wrote:
>>
>>> CPAN+ can build debian packages with CPANPLUS::Dist. Would it be
>>> worthwhile creating an RPM target?
>> Would it offer something that cpan2rpm or RPM-Specfile already don't?

> Chip has expressed that he wants to fix cpanflute2 (shipped in Core)
> to do exactly what we want.  Let's get him on this list.  Hey Chip
> this is the Fedora Project perl team's devel list.  I aim to keep list
> traffic here low noise through strict moderation and zero tolerance
> for bullshit.
>
> While cpanflute2 writing specs closer to the Fedora Project perl spec
> template would help us, it will never be a fully automated
> process. Each package needs to be analyzed to disable part or whole of
> "make test" because it is inappropriate to run network tests in the
> build system.  Other packages need to be told the location of other
> non-perl software and stuff.

Hi guys!

Sorry for the late response.  Been a busy couple weeks (new job, moved
across country, all those convenient excuses).

I am indeed happy to improve RPM-Specfile in whatever ways we can
brainstorm and in whatever ways will help Fedora.  Right now, the
source is embedded in the middle of my own personal subversion repo,
but I can split it out into something more public if people are
interested.

I've read over the archives (still waiting for moderator approval to
join), but as far as RPM-Specfile's general use... well, it's always
been intended to work on RHL/RHEL/Fedora.  I'm not aware of anyone who
really used it on other distros.  That's not to say I would blindly
make it forever incompatible with other distros, but the priority has
always been supporting RHEL/Fedora and so I'm comfortable keeping
along that same path.

I agree also that just packaging every tarball is a bad
idea... there's a lot of bad stuff on CPAN.  But, ideally, it should
be as simple as saying 'make an rpm of Fritzy-Blip' and it happens, so
that we can rapidly package as much interesting stuff as possible.

So... what do we need cpanflute2 to do better?

Chip

Chip Turner                   cturner at pattern.net