Provides: perl(main)

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Jan 16 20:27:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 09:58 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> I am inclined to consider letting rpms "provide: perl(main)" as
> packaging bug (perl(main) should better be filtered out for them),
> but am not sure about it.

I tend to agree, because one cannot do "use main" or "require main" in
perl code -> nothing should depend on perl(main).  So, wouldn't it be
good if rpmbuild wouldn't emit that at all?  RFE and patch:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/177960

> A quick check on my FC4+FE4 systems reveals these packages:
>
> # rpm -q --whatprovides 'perl(main)'
> mod_perl-2.0.1-1.fc4
> perl-MIME-tools-5.417-2
> perl-HTML-Tree-3.18-3
> latex2html-2002.2.1-3
> perl-Parse-RecDescent-1.94-5
> perl-5.8.6-22

Will fix MIME-tools, thanks.  repoquery on Rawhide confirms the above
findings and adds some others:

latex2html-0:2002.2.1-5.1.noarch
js-0:1.5-0.rc6a.6.i386
perl-Gtk2-0:1.102-1.fc5.i386 (reported in Bugzilla)