Breaking perl...

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Apr 16 15:56:07 UTC 2007

Robin Norwood wrote:
> So,
>
> I was waiting for feedback on the latest iteration of the perl spec file
> before proceeding, but I haven't really gotten any - I guess people are
> generally busy with their day jobs, etc.  However, we need to make a
> call here with the perl spec file.  The way things are now, if we build
> and release the current version, we'll break builds of various perl
> modules unless:
>
> o We add back perl-devel and some of the other subpackages as Requires
> for the main perl spec file.
>
> o We get those packages added to the standard buildroots - since perl is
> already considered standard, it isn't really a stretch to me for the
> -devel and related packages to be there too.
>
> o We get package owners to add perl-devel + co to their package
> BuildRequires sections.
>
> We need to pick one of those three options (or a better one) and
> communicate it to the Fedora community to proceed if we're going to use
> the new perl for F7.

I was quite happy to add BR: perl(ExtUtils::MakeMaker) or whatever's
appropriate for a given module for the packages I maintain. I'm still
happy to do this.

I can understand the desire to put perl-devel in the buildroot given the
lateness in the development cycle of the perl packaging change but only
as a temporary thing for F7 and something that would be reverted for F8.
Having the buildreqs correct in the packages has the be "the right thing
to do" in the long term.

Paul.