time for perl 5.10.x in devel?

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 20:32:41 UTC 2007

"Chris Weyl" <cweyl at alumni.drew.edu> writes:

> Along these lines...  Do we have a plan for including 5.10 in
> F-9/devel?  With the RC out, it sounds like 5.10 will GA
> not-too-horribly-soon from now, and we're at a point in devel where
> it's probably the Right Time to think about bumping from 5.8 to 5.10.
>
> http://perlbuzz.com/project-hum/2007/10/perl-5100-nears-code-freeze-release.html

Now that progress has been made on dividing up the other packages, I
played around for a few minutes with hacking a perl 5.10.0 spec file
based upon our 5.8.8 one.  Many of you have probably already done the
same, but here's what I found:

o Most of our patches to 5.8.8 are either applied in 5.10.0, or fixed
differently.
  - Many due to spot submitting all of them upstream when he
did the package review.  Spot rocks.
  - The others seem to be RH/Fedora specific, including the diddling we
do with the path for the perlmodcompat stuff.

o Speaking of the perlmodcompat stuff - is 5.10.0 a good time to get rid
  of it?  Or we be kicking ourselves when 5.10.x is released and we need
  to rebuild everything?

o A bunch of formerly CPAN modules have been moved into core.  Here's an
incomplete list:

perl-Module-CoreList
perl-version
perl-IO-Compress-Base
perl-IO-Compress-Gzip
perl-IO-Compress-Zip
perl-IO-Compress-Zlib
perl-Archive-Tar
perl-Module-Build
perl-Compress-Zlib
perl-IO-Zlib
perl-Compress-Gzip
perl-Module-Build
perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib
perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder
perl-Pod-Simple
perl-ExtUtils-ParseXS
perl-Pod-Escapes

  - shall we just do these as subpackages?  Are there any that would be
    more appropriate leaving in the main perl package?  I assume we'll
    want to keep the perl-core convention Requiring the new subpackages.

o Some of the packages that we split into subpackages for 5.8.8 didn't
change version in 5.10.0:

perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.30
perl-Test-Harness-2.56
perl-CPAN-1.76
perl-ExtUtils-Embed-1.26
perl-Test-Simple-0.62

This means that the release field for the 5.8.8 packages will be 31 (or
whatever), while the release field for 5.10.0 will probably start at
1...meaning the 5.8.8 versions will win vercomp.

How to fix it?

  - Start at whatever the last perl.5.8.8 release is + 1?  (Yuck!)
  - Epoch (double yuck!)
  - Something smarter? (Smarter would be good)

o How to develop the spec file?  Shall we throw one up on the wiki
somewhere for easier editing?

-RN