Perl splitting

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Tue May 15 14:48:39 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> writes:

>> > I find it remarkable that none of you commented on this.
>>
>> Are you volunteering to start one?  I'll be happy to help as much as I
>> can, time permitting. :-)
> Again, a comment I can't deny to find remarkable.
>
> I've been agitating to see "collaborative maintainership" to replace
> this unfortunate "one-package/one-owner" maintainership policy in Fedora
> ever since Fedora exists.
>
> So far, there have always been circles in Fedora which strangled any
> such attempt.

Well, what does collaborative maintainership mean to you, exactly?  As
you probably know, the vast majority of the recent changes to perl's
spec file were contributed by spot and yourself - that's pretty
collaborative.  If you want commit access, one of the benefits of the
merge is that you (or anyone else with a track record) could become a
co-maintainer of any package in Fedora, not just the 'extras'.  We
wouldn't want just anyone to have commit access, obviously.  Personally,
I wouldn't want to get rid of the maintainer idea entirely, either - I
think the personal responsibility and accountability implied by the
maintainer role count for a lot.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood