More on perl for F7

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Thu May 17 15:17:48 UTC 2007

On 5/16/07, Robin Norwood <rnorwood at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've been discussing the perl split and how to minimize disruption for
> users.  Warren, spot, and I are seeing about getting the 'core' perl
> packages that have been split into separate RPMs added to the list of
> packages that get installed by default whenever perl is installed.  This
> way, most users will still have CPAN + co, but we'll still have most of
> the advantages we wanted from splitting them out in the first place.
>
> This basically changes the 'build/devel' related perl modules from
> opt-in to opt-out for F7.
>
> What do you think?

This could at least stabilize things for F7 -- everything is present
the way it was in fc6, but ready for a more measured approach for F8.
If we're going forward with the split I think this is a good way to do
it.

So how are we planning on doing this?  A comps change or having core
perl require it's subpackages?  If it's just a comps change, how will
this work with upgrades (via anaconda or, eg, a yum / apt upgrade)?

                                              -Chris
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia