Perl splitting

Kelly Corbin kcorbin at theiqgroup.com
Tue May 29 18:51:54 UTC 2007

Kenneth Porter wrote:
> On Monday, May 14, 2007 7:35 AM +0200 Ralf Corsepius
> <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>
>> Yes, but ... how many _users_ do really need ExtUtils::MakeMaker or
>> Test:: modules? Perl devs will, normal users won't except when other
>> package will pull them in.
>

>> Before the split, it was technically impossible to replace core perl
>> modules, now we at least have the option to do so for those modules
>> which have been split out.
>

> In fact, EU:MM is exactly the module I needed to manually upgrade in the
> past, and had to install a local (unpackaged) version in my build
> environment to do so. I see this as a boon to dealing with broken
> outdated core packages that can now be updated in isolation without the
> extreme of updating the entire core.
>
> This doesn't affect Fedora so much, with its rapid pace of development,
> but other, more conservative distros (eg. RHEL and CentOS) inherit
> Fedora packages and will benefit from this compartmentalization of change.

I wholeheartedly agree!  I recently moved development of my application
from RHEL to FC and was disappointed to have to package our own
perl-Test-Simple because the Test::Builder in the main perl package was
still broken.  Everything else came as separate modules as needed.

So, it looks like now with FC7 (and esp. with FC8), even if
Test::Builder still gives me problems, I'm only *upgrading* a package;
not overwriting files that exist in another core package.  Very nice...

Kelly

-- Kelly Corbin
-- Network Administrator
--