perl-devel is installed by some package - "filter requires" needed ?

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 09:58:29 UTC 2008

Hi!

I was surprised to have perl-devel installed as a dependency when I was
testing a new perl package recently introducted.
The test was made on F8 x86_64, but others packages might be affected.

Unless I'm wrong, and the perl-devel dependency are really needed.
Theses packages shouldn't have it as a dependency:

Lastest build of - Still requires:
mod_perl (unsure?) - perl(ExtUtils::MakeMaker)
perl-Tk - perl(ExtUtils::MakeMaker)
perl-Gtk2 - perl(Test::More)
perl-Glib - perl(ExtUtils::MakeMaker)
perl-Curses - perl(ExtUtils::testlib)

I think it would be fine to have them fixed for devel and then in branch
, so a new version could eventually provides a fixed package.

Now I just wonder if we can assume that:
Unless the package itself is a perl(Test:: or perl(ExtUtils:: , it
shouldn't Requires either perl(Test:: or perl(ExtUtils::

Maybe We could have a warning if such dependencies are detected ?
Either appearing in build.log or as a rpmlint test ?
So we could check why this dependency are extracted at source.

Nicolas (kwizart)