Packaging CPAN modules for Fedora, the Oslo QA Hackathon, CPAN::Porters

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Sat Mar 8 07:34:27 UTC 2008

Gabor Szabo wrote:

> Lately I have also arrived to the conclusion that if you are not
> interested in bleeding edge Perl development then you should use only
> the modules supplied by your OS or Perl vendor. For that having only
> 1000 modules is way too low.

A couple of years ago I reached the same conclusion. All of my Fedora
systems now only have CPAN modules that are installed as RPMs.

> I am using a wide range of Linux distros as I am a consultant and
> every client uses somethings else. I encounter missing modules on
> daily bases so I have no choice but to use CPAN.pm.

I also have this problem. Not many days go by without me needing a CPAN
module that isn't pre-packaged into an RPM.

In those cases I often find that cpanspec works to whip up a quick RPM
that that I can use. I don't know how many of those automatically
generated RPMs would reach the standards required for inclusion in
Fedora, but I'm slowly (manually!) making them available at

   http://rpm.mag-sol.com/

Cheers,

Dave...