Packaging CPAN modules for Fedora, the Oslo QA Hackathon, CPAN::Porters

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Mar 12 19:06:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 20:55 +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> So if you do find a module with problematic licenses it would be great
> if you could check if CPANTS  http://cpants.perl.org/ has also caught
> that issue.

To be brutally honest, Artistic 1.0 is a problematic license. It's been
poorly interpreted in US court (1), and is not a free license (says the
FSF, who gets to decide what is free).

We're going through the process of trying to contact upstream copyright
holders for code that is marked as "Artistic 1.0 only" (same license as
perl is fine, since we can just choose GPL+), in the attempt to get them
to relicense or dual license. Most of the offenders here are perl
modules.

It is my plan to pull all of the Artistic 1.0 code out of rawhide in
Fedora 10.

~spot

1:
http://lawandlifesiliconvalley.blogspot.com/2007/08/new-open-source-legal-decision-jacobsen.html