[cpanrpm] Fwd: PAUSE indexer report SHLOMIF/CPANPLUS-Dist-Fedora-0.0.1.tar.gz

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Thu Sep 11 14:04:31 UTC 2008

Hi.

On Friday 05 September 2008, Chris Weyl wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 5:33 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:

> > > well, in fact, since cpanplus::dist::rpm and subclasses fedora /
> > > mandriva / others will have to work together, it might be better to
> > > provide only one dist including the subclasses... this way, we would be
> > > sure that a given cpanplus::dist::mdv release always works.
> > >
> > > wdyt?
> >
> > Sounds good.
> >
> > However, note that I received a message from Chris Weyl here with a
> > complex patch for CPANPLUS::Dist::Fedora that aims to solve some
> > problems. This patch uses Template-Toolkit to create a more compliant
> > spec, and so is worth a look as the basis for CPANPLUS::Dist::Rpm .
>
> Having a base ::Rpm class would make sense.  To me, it seems to break
> out into (and I'm stating the obvious here):
>
> * code to interact with a given dist and figure out "stuff" about it,
> e.g. license, status, etc

Isn't this is (as Jerome noted) what CPANPLUS::Dist::Base is doing?

> * code to handle the basics of taking that, generating a spec, and
> running rpm against it

Right.

> * distro-specific spec template(s)

Yes, but we cannot replace everything everytime. Hopefully, the Template will
be componentised.

> * distro-specific overrides to build behaviour
>
> Using Template::Toolkit to deal with the spec templates will hopefully
> help, in terms of keeping the spec generation somewhat distinct from
> determining the relevant information from the dist.
>
> What's the next step?  Note I assume you don't mind me helping out :-)

The next step is that we decide who will work on CPANPLUS::Dist::Rpm. Jerome
has the annoying tendency of not properly capitalising his strings (including
not in code or in error messages to the user) so he should either improve in
this regard or be left out of this project.

I'm willing to take Chris's Template Toolkit-based code, inspect it and port
it to Mandriva. Does anyone else want to help?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Understand what Open Source is - http://xrl.us/bjn82

fortunes in freecell? -- Ran Eilam