#! /usr/bin/perl preferred

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Fri Aug 28 19:20:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 7:22 AM, Ralf Corsepius<rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> Consider you have another "perl" installed in parallel the official vendor
> perl and want to test a particular application suite with it.
>
> Using env you can simply use your "experimental perl".
>
> Removing it, you will normally have to edit all of your applications'
> scripts, etc. Not necessarily nice!

Yeah.  I've actually been running into that over the last couple
months...  at $work, we have machines at several different OS levels,
and a smattering of RH, SLES, etc.  Building and installing Perl
independently of the system Perl helps get around some of the
cruftiness of the machines, especially as we can't replace the system
Perl as it may have OS implications.

Hardcoding /usr/bin/perl makes switching tricky...  (and then one ends
up sorting through scripts with different interpreters hardcoded...
which makes life even more exciting.)  I actually ended up writing a
module that would re-exec itself under a newer Perl if it found it,
but that requires a change to add it to production code.  Being able
to change at the environment level which Perl is invoked does make
life easier.

Frankly -- is it hurting anything we do?  If not, then I'd say let's
not worry about it.  TMTOWTDI :)

                                          -Chris
--
Chris Weyl