Overriding core modules...

Stepan Kasal skasal at redhat.com
Mon Mar 23 18:18:30 UTC 2009

Hi all,

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:01:49AM -0700, Chris Weyl wrote:
> submitted perl-autodie, [...] autodie provides a new Fatal.pm that
> needs to override core Fatal; which is easy enough now that we have[1] @INC
> basically matching site, vendor, core in F-9+.   [...]

well, overriding core modules by "vendor" ones sounds scary.  What do
others think?

What if two different packages wosh to override the same module?
They'd conflict with each other?

I'm still contemplating the possibility to do more @INC cleanup.
One of the ideas I was contemplating was to make vendor = core, so
that it would appear only once in the @INC path.  That would
obviously block the above idea.  What do you think, is the above
example plusible reason why vendor has to stay != core ?

TIA for all comments.

Stepan Kasal