Task::Kensho from Enlightened Perl

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Tue Mar 31 11:37:32 UTC 2009

Gabor Szabo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> you might know that there is a relatively new organization called
> Enlightened Perl
> http://www.enlightenedperl.org/
> One of their projects is to create a CPAN module called Task::Kensho
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Task-Kensho/ with the sole purpose of setting the
> dependencies to a list of highly recommended modules.
>
> After seeing the post of Dave Cross http://use.perl.org/~davorg/journal/38730
> about building rpms from all the modules I thought it might be a good
> target for the Fedora Perl maintainers as well to turn those packages to be
> official Fedora and then maybe Red Hat packages.
>
> So I'd like to ask you to add Task::Kensho to the list of perl
> packages you include in Fedora. Satisfying all of the dependencies
> will bring a nice subset of CPAN to the Fedora users.

One of the points I made in my post was that I've already build RPMs for
all of the Kensho modules (or, at least, the ones that aren't already in
the Fedora repositories). So if you wanted to move them into the Fedora
project you could grab them from http://rpm.mag-sol.com/.

One interesting point that was thrown up by this little project. I built
the spec file for perl-Task-Kensho using cpanspec. But cpanspec doesn't
seem to recognise the Module::Install syntax for declaring dependencies
(see, for example [1]) so I had to add the 'Requires' statements
manually. With more and more CPAN authors moving to Module::Install, it
would be good if cpanspec could be enhanced to support this syntax.

Cheers,

Dave...

[1] http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/PERIGRIN/Task-Kensho-0.0.8/Makefile.PL