pychecker stories/feedback?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 15:48:45 UTC 2008

David Kovalsky wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:10:18 +0000
>
> I've been using pylint for a while and I must say it's pretty useful.
> It takes a while though to tune some of the tests - like
>  * every variable has to be at least 3 chars (except for i when
> iterating), so often used 'id' won't pass as well as common for l in
> lines, for k,v in dict.iteritems() and such

id is also a builtin::
   id(...)
       id(object) -> integer
       Return the identity of an object.  This is guaranteed to be unique
       among simultaneously existing objects.  (Hint: it's the object's
       memory address.)

>  * pylint complains about nonexisting properties if you override the
> __getattr__ method.
>
>  * in default * and ** magic is now allowed (from foo import *, def
> bar(*args, **kwargs), which is sometimes very useful
>
> But it has pretty good documentation, commented config file and you can
> tune the checks using comments in the .py files themselves
> to disable a check for a file or even a block of code as simply as for
> example '# pylint: disable-msg=C0103' to disable warning about module
> variable in lowercase.

It is also supposed to be able to turn tests on and off at the same
level but that is broken in the current release. (Upstream says they
have a fix in for the next release).

> As I mentioned, you really have to take the time to configure it to
> your standart. As some people prefer to use CamelCase, some
> use_underline. After that is helps you keep the same standart
> throughout the whole project. And writing your own tests (plugins) is
> easy and fun :)

pylint --generate-rcfile is a useful option to start your customization
with.

-Toshio