Proposal: naming convention for Python 3 packages and subpackages

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Oct 31 00:52:05 UTC 2009

On 10/30/2009 06:38 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> I think we're generally using python- (inconsistently) and python3- (want to
> make this 100% consistent) asour lib prefixfor python libraries.

I guess that's true with the exception of the python base package itself
which is both a library *AND* an application, and things like idle.

> Is Idle
> just a python application or is it also used as a library?  I'm afraid I
> haven't looked so I don't know how strange it is under this scheme.

The thing about idle is that it's provided by Python, it's not a library,
but it's only used by developers of Python with Python.  So, it's not a
library, but it doesn't feel to me like it should be just called "idle" as
opposed to "python(3)?-idle".

Sean