[Fedora-r-devel-list] How to handle already installed libraries ?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Oct 3 23:18:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 01:09:33AM +0200, pingou wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Which one of the 2 libraries is used ?

I guess that R has a search path with both locations?

> Quite some libraries that I have made are noarch libraries, I install
> them in /usr/share whereas the r cmd install install them in /usr/lib.

/usr/share is the right place for noarch libraries.

> Then, I was wondering whether we should include a way to check for the
> presence of a library before install it.

We shouldn't.

> Other question, in the case that the library has not been installed at
> the right place should we remove it ? (before install it through the rpm)

We shouldn't either.

If the user mixes rpm installed and hand installed softwares he should
know what he is doing, doing things automatically is not right when we
don't know the user intentions.

Now maybe there could be some facilities in R in fedora to help user
install his stuff in a specific path (for example /usr/local/lib or
/usr/local/share) in order not to install stuff in directories that are
traditionnally under rpm conrol, like /usr/lib and /usr/share. But I
don't know if it is feasible, nor easy, and I am not sure that it is
desirable either.

--
Pat