[relnotes] [Fedora Project Wiki] Update of "Docs/Beats/FileSystems" by PaulFrields

fedorawiki-noreply at fedoraproject.org fedorawiki-noreply at fedoraproject.org
Sat Sep 15 03:37:39 UTC 2007

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Fedora Project Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by PaulFrields:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/FileSystems?action=diff&rev2=20&rev1=19

The comment on the change is:
Editorial pass

  {{{my_swap /dev/sdb1 /dev/urandom swap,cipher=aes-cbc-essiv:sha256
  }}}

- This creates an encrypted block device `/dev/mapper/my_swap`, which can be
+ This command creates an encrypted block device `/dev/mapper/my_swap`, which can be
  referenced in `/etc/fstab`.  The next example shows an entry for a filesystem volume:

  {{{my_volume /dev/sda5 /etc/volume_key cipher=aes-cbc-essiv:sha256
@@ -23, +23 @@

  The `/etc/volume_key` file contains a plaintext encryption key.  You can
  also specify {{{none}}} as the key file name, and the system instead asks for the encryption key during boot.

+ The recommended method is to use ''LUKS'' for file system volumes.  If you are using LUKS you can drop the `cipher=` declaration in `/etc/crypttab`.
- The recommended method is to use ''LUKS'' for file system volumes:
- (using LUKS you can drop the cipher= part in crypttab).

-  1. Create the encrypted volume using {{{cryptsetup luksFormat}}}
+  1. Create the encrypted volume using {{{cryptsetup luksFormat}}}.
-  1. Add the necessary entry to `/etc/crypttab`
+  1. Add the necessary entry to `/etc/crypttab`.
-  1. Set up the volume manually using {{{cryptsetup luksOpen}}} or reboot
+  1. Set up the volume manually using {{{cryptsetup luksOpen}}} or reboot.
-  1. Create a filesystem on the encrypted volume
+  1. Create a filesystem on the encrypted volume.
-  1. Set up an `/etc/fstab` entry
+  1. Set up an entry in `/etc/fstab`.