[relnotes] Re: Serial Mouse not recognized in Fedora Core 7.0

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 20:43:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 10:51 -0700, bcsvirtual.msg at juno.com wrote:
> I hope that this is the correct address to send my bug/question.......

The best place(s) to find help toward a solution, if one is possible, is
through community support.

fedora-list at redhat.com
http://fedoraforum.org

You can find more about that and other ideas at:

http://help.fedoraproject.org/

> Before I commit one of my good desktop computers to Linux, I decided to
> load it on a test system that I had built for data recovery with EIDE
> HDD's. I have a 20gb HDD with a dual boot Windows 2000- one part as FAT32
> and another as NTFS with a spare 1gb partition for data. Everything
> worked fine on this older system, so I added RAM, swapped the HDD with a
> spare 20gb HDD and started the Fedora build. The serial mouse was not
> recognized (the AT type keyboard was recognized though). I stopped the
> build and tried using a serial to PS2 adapter and restarted. It still was
> not recognized. I continued the build hoping the utilities would allow
> this problem to be resolved.
>
> At this point, the mouse is still not recognized and it is very difficult
> navigating with just the keyboard. I have built and deployed one Fedora
> Box at a clients site, but would like to have a system at home. I may
> even decide to build a dual boot once tested. Any help would be
> appreciated.

A quick google.com search shows that serial mice have not been supported
in Fedora for since Fedora Core 5.  Without knowing more, I'd guess that
the support was removed upstream, meaning other Linux distributions may
be the same way.

Most likely people on fedora-list et al will suggest that you get a new
mouse.  If that is not an option, the community of users are the best
people to get ideas of what else might work.

Good luck.
--
Karsten Wade, Community Gardener
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org