Hints for working with CVEs?

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Fri May 5 15:28:09 UTC 2006

On Friday 05 May 2006 10:05, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> For example, I know there's a recent clamav vulnerability that affects
> Extras.  Now, I can search to find out that it's CVE-2006-1989.  I
> know Enrico pushed 0.88.2 on May 2 so we're not vulnerable.
>
> But, how would I have seen the CVE without knowing it existed?  Click
> on every link in the daily changelogs and manually read the
> description?  There has to be a more efficient way.
>
> BTW, what would be the format of the line to add to the fe4 and fe5
> files for this?
>
> CVE-2006-1989 version (clamav, fixed 0.88.2)
>
> (no bug number, no announcement obviously)
>
>  - J<

When i saw this on bugtraq i first searched bugzilla.  which had no bug
filled.  I then checked the repo  to see if packages were updated.  which
they were not at that time. I then checked the fedora-extras-commits to see
if  there was something there.  and the updates had been commited.  My
question is  should I have filed a bug anyway  so that we have a public
record  that the issue  had been fixed?

--
Regards

Dennis Gilmore,  RHCE