Fedora 7 and the Security Response Team

Josh Bressers bressers at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 11:17:01 UTC 2007

> ok. Looking at the nice big pile you checked in, I think we might be
> served better by folks taking particular packages. Ie, if you are
> already examining a package for one CVE, it might be easier to just
> keep going on that package rather than switch to another one and have
> to pull up more cvs files, bugzilla, etc.

This does make sense, yes.  I'm also rather sure that most of the mess I
checked in today is fixed in F7, so this would speed things up for the very
reasons you mention.

> Here's the top 10 of the ones you just checked in today:=20
>
>      30 (php)
>      14 (helixplayer)
>      11 (tomcat)
>       8 (fedoradirectoryserver)
>       7 (flash-plugin)
>       7 (acroread)
>       6 (openoffice.org)
>       6 (kernel)
>       5 (xscreensaver)
>       5 (wu-ftpd)
>
> Should all the flash-plugin, acroread and wu-ftpd ones be marked
> "ignore" since we don't ship them? Or removed?=20

Mark them ignore, no ship.  The advantage to keeping the id in the file is
that if we ever do start shipping those things, we have a list of things to
look at.

> Also, what level of scrutiny should we use in checking for fixes?=20
> If a changelog lists the CVE being fixed, mark it? Should we check the
> patch against upstream or other distros fix?=20

If the changelog mentions it we should be inclined to believe it.  If there
is a reason to cast doubt we can invest more time.

Thanks.

--
    JB